Man in Court for Raping Underage Nieces

| May 4, 2015

Trial dates for the case in which a 30-year-old Tutume man is facing charges of raping his two underage nieces have been set for August 24 and 25.

After setting the trial dates, Masunga magistrate, Ms Onkarabile Mokone, further remanded the accused in custody. She aised him to approach the High Court if he still wanted to be considered for bail.

Magistrate Mokone said due to the special circumstances of the case, the lower court could not grant the accused bail. The man allegedly had carnal knowledge of two minor girls aged 8 and 9 in Tutume on November 12 and 13 last year.

When making his bail application, the accused had told the court that he needed bail as he had not been paid where he was working at the time of his arrest.

He further said if released on bail, he would abide by the set conditions adding that he would also not go to Tutume but would stay with his siblings in Sekakangwe.

The prosecutor, Sergeant Paphidzo Kuda of the Botswana Police Service, however, applied for the extension of the accused’s remand warrant.

Meanwhile, 30-year-old Benjamin Disang was also before court on a charge of murder. He allegedly murdered Batang Cheche near Matenge on February 8 this year.

The prosecutor in the matter, Sub Inspector Kgomo Marotsi of the Botswana Police Service, told the court that the state was still awaiting a pathologist report as well as a report from the forensic laboratory.

Marotsi said the case docket was also yet to be forwarded to the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for assessment. The accused persons in both cases will appear again before court on May 18 for mention.

Source : BOPA

Source : Botswana Daily News

Category: News

Comments are closed.