CAMEROON TROOPS KILL 7 ARMED SEPARATISTS IN STRIFE-HIT ANGLOPHONE REGION

| October 7, 2018

YAOUNDE-- Seven armed separatist were killed Friday in Otu, a village in the Southwest, one of the two crisis-hit English-speaking regions of Cameroon, after the military forces raided a building where the fighters had been camping, the Cameroon army said in a statement.

"A task force undertook on October 5 a raid in Otu village that has been under the control of secessionist terrorists since April 2018," the army said in the statement that was published on its Facebook page.

It added that a health center that was serving as their camp was destroyed and seven separatists were killed.

Government forces have beefed up security in Cameroon's restive Anglophone regions of Northwest and Southwest ahead of Sunday's presidential poll in the country.

The armed separatist forces had vowed to stop the election from taking place in the regions.

The government has taken exceptional measures to ensure national security. Borders are closed 48 hours to polling day. The circulation of goods and persons within the territory by road, railway, and airlines is banned from 6 p.m. Oct. 6 to 6 p.m. Oct. 7.

Since November last year, government forces have been clashing with armed separatist forces who want the two regions to secede from the majority French-speaking nation and form a new country called "Ambazonia."

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK

Zczc

CAMEROON: OPPOSITON LEADERS JOIN FORCES AHEAD OF SUNDAY'S ELECTIONS

YAOUNDE-- The leader of Cameroon's People's Development Front (FDP), Akere Muna, has withdrawn his candidacy, ahead of Sunday Oct 7 presidential election to form a coalition with the Movement for the Rebirth of Cameroon's (MRC) Maurice Kamto.

The two opposition parties joined together as an attempt to defeat incumbent President Paul Biya - who has been in power for six terms.

Cameroon's authorities have been accused of unfairly favoring Biya, one of Africa's longest-serving rulers, who won 78 percent of votes in 2011's polls.

Communication Minister Issa Tchiroma Bakary said in a statement that "measures have been taken... to prevent any actions that might create violence or disorder around the elections."

In a Twitter statement, Muna said: "I decided to withdraw my candidacy for the presidential election of October 7th, for the benefit of Mr. Maurice KAMTO. I firmly believe that the future of Cameroon is the top priority and is worth every personal sacrifice"

Muna said he decided to "withdraw" his candidacy in order to benefit Kamto.

Biya has been in power for 35 years and will bid for a seventh term when he faces seven challengers - following Muna's withdrawal - at the polls Sunday.

The opposition front-runners are Kamto and main opposition Social Democratic Front's Josh Osih, who was not included in the new alliance.

The African nation, which has a population of some 25 million people, was placed on lockdown for 48 hours before the polls are scheduled to be open on Sunday.

The security measures include the suspension of internal travel by road, rail and air from Saturday until the conclusion of voting.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK

Category: General

Comments are closed.