CAPE TOWN, As the date approaches for the country’s first presentation of its bid to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup, the Cabinet has urged all South Africans to support the effort to secure the hosting rights for the event.
In a statement issued Thursday following its fortnightly meeting in Cape Town, the Cabinet said a high-level South African delegation would make its first bid presentation to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup in London on Sept 25.
Cabinet wishes to reiterate its strong support for this bid and calls upon South Africans to support this bid that will contribute immensely to social cohesion and nation-building and also serve as a catalyst for sport development, it said.
South Africa has a strong proven record of hosting such events, including the Rugby World Cup tournament in 1995 and the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
Last month, Sport and Recreation Minister Thulas Nxesi said a lot of technical work was being done ahead of Sept 25 presentation. There will still be stages where [we] have to go and present, that’s why we have put [together] a very solid bid Our bid is an economic bid. It must be well researched with information from us as government [and] from the side of SARU (South African Rugby Union), Nxesi said at a media briefing in Cape Town.
The big host country announcement is expected to be made on Nove 15.
Meanwhile, the Cabinet also congratulated Kevin Anderson on making the final of the US Open men’s singles compeition, where he eventually fell to Spain’s Rafael Nadal on Sunday.
The Cabinet joins the nation in congratulating Kevin Anderson on making the finals of the US Open. He is the first South African player to make the final of a major tennis championship since 1994, the Cabinet said, adding that it was confident Anderson would continue building on his glittering achievement and inspire other young, talented South Africans.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK