The Ministry of International Relations and Cooperation on Monday called for calm following an incident in which a Namibian national was left blind during a robbery last week in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The victim, Sam Shikongo from Okahandja who lost his eyesight after being shot, is currently receiving treatment in a Windhoek hospital.
Acting executive director in the ministry, Ambassador Sabine Böhlke-Möller in a statement on Monday said the ministry expressed its concern at the unfortunate incident, noting that the ministry and the Namibian High Commission in Pretoria, along with the South African authorities, are in the process of establishing the facts around this tragic incident and for the culprits to be brought to justice.
“The Namibian mission has made contact with the victim, who has since returned home to Namibia and is receiving treatment in the Windhoek Central Hospital in Windhoek. While regretting this unfortunate incident, the ministry wishes to call for calm while investigations are being conducted,” Böhlke-Möller said.
Despite the incident, the government official noted that Namibia continues to maintain cordial relations with South Africa.
Source: The Namibian Press Agency